Monday, 18 July 2016

A Little Over 6 Weeks After Your Birth...

Hello, Aurora!

It has been a while since I've posted... a little after 6 weeks of your birth.  How I thought I'd have time to write on this blog after giving birth to you I'll never know.  In fact, the only reason I've been able to write this entry today is because it's just past 2:30 in the morning and I can't sleep - thanks to a ridiculous cold that has sucker-punched me (and has given you congestion big time...sorry about that).

So, what's been going on?  Well, again, I have to rewind a bit.

Your Birth
Your original due date was May 25, and because of the craziness my body seemed to go through in April with a change in symptoms, I honestly thought you'd be born sooner rather than later.  It is part of the reason I actually had to come off of work sooner (back aches, tiredness, higher blood pressure, etc. made it hard to work with the 4-6 year olds in my classroom).  In fact, after the folk dancing Jamboree with the students from the school (to which I danced a few dances with the students), my co-workers present (Luciana Simonelli and Mani Storey) and my principal, Sandy Coscarella, thought I was trying to dance you out of my body.  But you wouldn't have anything to do with it!  In fact, I had my last OB appointment 2 days after you were due, on May 27th.  Dr. Freedman mentioned at that appointment that if you were not out by the following Thursday (June 2), I was to go to the hospital at 8:00 AM to be induced.

So...I had to go in June 2nd.  This helped a bit because it allowed me to get everything put into place at work (the report cards for my students were completed a week or so before this date), and allowed us to get most of the work completed in your nursery (i.e. the hardwood floors, painting the closet).

The morning of June 2nd was a bit nerve-wrecking for me (I'm sure for your Dad too).  We had most stuff packed, but the thought of knowing we were going to the hospital to have you come home with us was still a strange concept to get our minds wrapped around.  After showering and having breakfast, along with packing some last minute items, we packed the car to head to the hospital.  As we were about to leave, we tried putting in the final item - the car seat - only to realize that installing the base behind Daddy's seat was not a good one as the seat wouldn't fit wedged in behind his seat (Daddy needs a lot of leg room).  So: Mommy freaked out as we rushed to reinstall the base behind my seat before heading to the hospital - now "late" (it helps that we only live about 8 minutes away from the hospital).

We pulled into parking lot and were just collecting our things to bring inside when Mommy received a phone call from the nurses in the birthing unit.  They asked that we stay home until they called us as there were a higher number of deliveries than they had anticipated.  So, we re-packed the car and (after arguing a bit with the security officers about paying for parking when we were directed by the nurses to go home when we were about 4 minutes in the lot) headed home.  Of course, as soon as we begin to head home...the contractions started in the car :)

Getting home, I headed to the washroom and noticed that some blood was visible when wiping my nether-regions.  I began to freak and called the birthing  unit.  The nurse told me to keep an eye on it, but I should be fine.  So, we waited and kept track of contractions while distracting ourselves watching the latest season of Arrow (the whole time I was sitting on the birthing/exercise ball - as that was the only comfortable seating position for me).  The contractions hit the "required" 5-1-1 stage right from the get-go.  At around 10 AM we received a call from the nurses saying to arrive for around 12 NOON to be induced.  I told them I was having contractions and even though I had already hit the 5-1-1 (now 5-1-2), they said I should be fine.  Only come in earlier if my water broke.

So, around noon, we made our way back to the hospital.  There was some confusion as they were expecting to induce me, but realizing my contractions were steady and checking me, they found out that I was 3-4 cm dilated so they got us a room.  They hooked me up with an IV "in case", and Dr. Freedman came in and had to break my water - that was an odd feeling.  When they did this, they found some merconium in the water (you had pooped in the womb) so they'd have to keep an eye on me and you.

I continued to be in labour for quite some time.  Around 3:30, I had decided to go for an epidural - something I was hoping to avoid but the pain making me feel like I was both going to throw up and pass out at the same time - and I was only about 5-6 cm dilated and things were slowing down.  I soon found out that you can dilate at different rates in the "front" and the "back" because at one point I was 8 cm dilated in one direction, and 9 in another...and would be for some time.  Around 10 PM, I was about 10 cm and they said I can begin the active part of labour.  The nurse got things started, but it wasn't until Dr. Freedman came in like a football coach to "motivate" me that things really got under way.  At 10:35, you made your appearance in the world.  Daddy didn't get to cut the cord because they had to check you quickly (due to the merconium thing and Mommy had a fever at some point during the labour) - don't worry...besides looking like an alien (but we loved you anyway...LOL), you were fine.  That said, I had asked the doctor were you a girl or boy, and in her rush to get you out, she honestly had no idea!

Nanny, Nonno and Zia Sebastiana were actually at the unit just before you were born and were excited to meet the new addition to our family unit.  Saying they were excited was an understatement!  After I was stitched up, they came in to greet you.

When they left, Daddy and I had a bit of time just the three of us before we were wheeled into our room.  Because of the number of births that day, we had to share a room with a nice couple, but it was so cramped, Daddy was encouraged to go home to rest - I definitely couldn't sleep.  The NICU nurse came to get you around 3 AM to check you out, collect a sample for a culture (due to the fever I had) and to put an IV in your arm before returning you to me wearing a knitted cap.  I couldn't keep my eyes off of you and was still too hyped up from bringing you into this world - something I still have trouble wrapping my head around.

There were many visitors: Grand Dad came to see you, driving 45 minutes across the city to meet you for 10 minutes, before driving back and onwards to his golf weekend - to which you were the topic of conversation and directed the men's conversation that weekend towards stories of children being born. Nanna came later on, along with Auntie Debbie (who was there for your first poopy diaper), Tita Catherine and Tito Mark, and of course Nanny, Nonno and Zia Seb again.  That night, after Daddy went home to rest again, I was told you had jaundice and would have to go under the UV lights to help.  I couldn't sleep all night as I watched the nurse set things up (at one point, the lamp was being adjusted over you and sounded like it would fall and squash you - NOT comforting), then kept an eye on you so that your eye mask would stay put (every time you moved, it shifted, and it seemed like you pulled it down with your hands whether you meant to or not) as well as to feed you every 2-3 hours to keep you hydrated to get you to flush out the bilirubin from your system.

By the time Daddy arrived the next morning, Mommy was EXHAUSTED (not having slept for about 2 days), and my nerves were shot.  This lead to a whole other incident - feel free to ask me for more details...I'm sure I will never forget it. However, because of "the incident", I wasn't discharged from the hospital as would have been - although you wouldn't have been anyway because we had to wait for the results of your culture from the 3 AM test that takes 48 hours to get results.  Since we were staying, they finally moved us to a private room away from chatting nurses and were finally able to relax a bit more.  You continued to get visitors (Auntie Natasha and Uncle Dev, Zia Monica and Zio Derwin, along with Nanny, Nonno, and Zia Sebastiana - followed by GrandDad and Nanna).  There was definitely a lot of love and support in those days leading to our release on Monday, June 5 when we FINALLY came home!

(Side note: when we got home, at one point Daddy and you were lying down in the bedroom "crying" for attention - but you can ask Daddy about that...it was quite the scene.  Not to mention at one point I was nursing you while I was drinking my own milk...weird moments like that.)


Since Being Home
The first few days/weeks were an adjustment.  We still weren't used to your sounds yet, and called Telehealth about your breathing (causing EMTs to appear at our house to check for your blood oxygen levels to make sure you were okay) - this scared Mommy a lot!  You had the run of the living rooms with your baby equipment, not to mention Daddy and Mommy's bedroom.

I tried nursing you, but with the stress of everything (one night I was nursing you for 5 hours non-stop and you didn't seem satisfied) I wasn't able to solely feed you that way.  I've come to terms with that now, but I really do enjoy having Mommy and Rory time!

We have dealt with thrush - for both you and me, you peeing WHILE we were changing your diaper, one time you even "sprayed" when I was changing your diaper with the public health nurse, dealing with spit-up, poopy diapers that trailed up the back (we think you cluster poop), hearing your cute "I'm pooping" noise and so much more.  You've had many visitors, and have a weekly standing date with Nanny and Nonno on Fridays (since Nonno is off on Fridays).  It is extremely clear that you are the apple of their eye.  They could (and often do) spend their time just watching you sleep - in your swing, in your car seat...wherever (kinda creepy...but cute too).

We have watched you grow.  Every day something new seems to happen.  You have developed your neck muscles basically right from day one.  My first time doing tummy time with you showed that you were able to begin to raise your head even when you weren't lying on Mommy's tummy.  However, when you were upset, you actually turned yourself from your tummy to your back! (You were about 2 weeks...maybe 3)  Soon, you were able to do so quite regularly, and not just because you were upset.  (I even have some video)  This is amazing since this isn't a milestone for some time.

The greatest joy for your Father and I, though, was when you smiled at us "for real" for the first time.  It was the second Saturday in July.  I had been wearing a mask around you the past couple of days in hopes of NOT getting you sick with this silly congestion/cold (unfortunately, you'd get it from me anyway).  Because of this, I wasn't able to smile at you for you to respond.  On that particular Saturday, however, I tossed it aside so I could smile at you - and instantly, you responded with one.  I called your Dad over and you repeated the smile.  I can't speak for Dad, but I know that it melted my heart.  Our next milestone that we are looking forward to is hearing you laugh.

We really do enjoy getting to know you, little one, and can't wait to see how you continue to develop and change...becoming "Aurora".  (Hopefully you won't be too vain as your next enjoyment is lying on the mat and looking at yourself in the mirror...LOL).

Love,
Mom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment