I've been meaning to start a blog for some time now documenting aspects of my pregnancy. As with all things, it never seems to happen when I'd like because, well, life gets in the way. That said, I am currently ending my first week off from work as I wait for our coming bundle of joy (you) and I have finally put steps forward to begin.
Why am I doing this? Not sure. Maybe because I used to journal a lot when I was younger and I miss it. This way, I don't have to put papers away or get a new journal every time.
The reality is, I keep hearing amazing stories of things I did growing up or from friends as they tell me things their children did...but it always seemed to happen AFTER another story was discussed. I will admit, I have a bad memory (okay, it comes and goes - especially when I'm stressed or doing a million things). By typing things down when I remember or as close to the event as possible, I am hoping that our little one will have the chance to look back and read some of the embarrassing, sweet, funny, frustrating (you get the picture) things he/she did growing up so that they can be passed on to his/her own children...some day.
How it all began...
Let me begin by letting you know, I'm not going to go into all the details of how your Dad and I got to this point, but I will be mentioning some of the highlights. Your Dad and I met by weird chance at a double blind date organized through your Aunt Meg and one of her co-workers, Dana, who I met through an ex-boyfriend. I can go into more of that story at some later date, but let's just say Andrew and I feel very lucky and blessed to have found each other...whatever the circumstance. Our first meeting was at Cafe Mirage where we had a chocolate shake each and talked for hours. Many would say that for your father, this wasn't anything new, but for me...I couldn't get enough of your father's stories and hearing his voice. This took place on Uncle Derwin's birthday in September 2011. From there, your father and I spent a lot of time together and began making plans for our future within a couple of months. Your Dad proposed to me on May 5, 2012 in front of the wolf enclosure at the Toronto Zoo (one of my favourite animals). There is a funny story about that, but you'll have to ask to find out more. Fast forward a little ways to October 2012 and your Dad and I were married and began the new part of our life together.
Your Dad and I wanted to have children, but had to wait a bit before we could start - partially to have time of just the two of us to get to know one another as a couple. Before our first year of marriage, though, we were trying to have our family started. It definitely took a while for our dreams to come true...3 years, in fact.
In September 2015, your Dad and I went to the family cottage in Wasaga to have a weekend of relaxation together. It was there, sitting on the couch while reading, playing a tablet game or watching TV when I sat up and looked at Andrew and said, "I think I could be pregnant." (I had been feeling something different with my body but didn't want to keep my hopes up, as we had been disappointed in the past.) I couldn't sleep that night (and not just because of the bunk bed I was sleeping in at the time). The next day we went to a local pharmacy and picked up a pregnancy test (I couldn't wait to come home to find out) and sure enough...two pink stripes!!! Your father picked me up and twirled me around with excitement and joy. It was the beginning of our journey to you.
The next 9 months were interesting. We were both amazed at what the human body can do in while allowing this new life to begin. I know you will hear that hormones can do a lot to your body, but I didn't realize how much. For example, during the beginning stages of pregnancy, I COULD NOT eat anything that I prepared to eat (i.e. cooked at home). Your Dad and I ate out a lot as a result. The thought and smell of cooking chicken was another turn off - this included eating it. This was especially strange for me because that is often what we had to eat during the week. Hamburgers (but not fries) became my safety food, along with pasta. Throughout my pregnancy, I would get brief cravings for: Oreo McFlurries, mango, strawberry, cold things (e.g. ice cream), and the odd taste of pickles and ketchup found on a McDonald's burger. Only once did I send your Father out of the house to pick up a BigMac meal for dinner on a strong craving, but it was still odd for me to utter that request.
Besides food, I had some other interesting things happening with my body. I would carry a cold for weeks (which is tough when you are always surrounded by germs when teaching Kindergarten). I've never had heart burn/acid reflex before - now it's like my new best friend. My hips would hurt when I slept (later in pregnancy). I would have to use a body pillow for a while, but then had to stop because I'd get too hot throughout the night and couldn't sleep - which is especially strange for me because I am not usually one who complains about being too hot. I did get nauseous on and off in my pregnancy, more in the afternoon than in the morning. But in the beginning of my second trimester and a few times in my third I had actual times where I was sick to my stomach. Fun times!!! (The worst was when Aunty Carolin had Zeke and I went to visit her, and shortly after got a stomach flu. I had to go to the hospital at the labour and delivery area to be treated for dehydration and to make sure you were okay - especially as I was 16 weeks along and I was worried. Luckily, it all worked out okay and it gave a chance for your Father and I, along with my Mom, to see the area where you were expected to be delivered.)
One of the things I wanted to mention before I end this post is about your Dad. He has been so amazing throughout this pregnancy and very supportive. I really can't wait to see him hold you in his arms and make funny noises to make you laugh. But one of the ways that he has shown his support in this journey (even if subconsciously) is that every time I turn in bed (which is getting harder to do), your Father's breathing slows as he seems to wait to see if I need help - any time of night. He's had to endure me falling asleep on him any time of night while trying to watch TV and often tucked me into bed before 8:30...always without complaint. He is such an amazing man and I really couldn't do this without him!
No comments:
Post a Comment