But today's entry is directly related to the question I often ask you before we read stories before bed. Mommy asks you, "What's something that made you smile (or laugh) today?"
Now, before I go into your response tonight, I need to explain... We had a tough night tonight. You first wanted milk in your "bike cup" with a straw, then proceeded to blow milk bubbles and made a mess on our livingroom carpet. So, I took away the cup for the rest of the evening. You were upset because you wanted it and I explained that the consequence for the choice you made (making a mess) was too have it removed but we could try again tomorrow. You had a little fit, then went into your room to cry a bit. Next, you wanted a bath so I drew you one. You got mad a me because I washed out the shampoo from your hair before you got to play with it, not understanding that the longer it stays in your hair the drier it seems to make it. Then, I had to give you a time limit in the bath because I had to give your brother a bath. You didn't seem to understand that 5 minutes isn't long and you argued with me on something, causing you to have the 5 minutes go by without having the chance to wash your body the way you like with the sponge (even though I reminded you). So the timer went off and I took you out of the bath, as I said I would. This led to a full out 40 minute plus tantrum where you couldn't get past the idea that you weren't clean because you didn't get to wash yourself. I spent most of the time trying to console you, but sticking to my guns... And not getting anywhere. I'm not sure what finally made you switch into acceptance, but you eventually did... Then spent some time outside on the side balcony watching the rain with your brother, Daddy and Mommy.
Fast forward to bedtime when I asked you the question I always do. You said what made you smile was spending time with me, Alan, and Daddy; building with Mommy; and when I helped calm you down when you were upset. I will tell you, babe, that you made me cry... Although you didn't notice. I love you so much, my beautiful girl. Never forget that.
No comments:
Post a Comment