Hello my lovely little girl. I just realized that it has definitely been a while since last I wrote. It is not because you haven't done some amazing things...Mommy's just been running around. Starting Monday (April 3rd), I am going back to work. This was a hard decision for Mommy, and I hope that you understand, but I really think this will be a good thing for the both of us. You will have a couple of playmates to interact with throughout the day, and Mommy can think of some great games to play with you while she's at work teaching Kindergarten.
So, what has been going on? You continue to grow and change every day. You have been teething for what seems like months, but have put it into high gear the past couple of weeks. Daddy and I can actually see your two top teeth trying so hard to make their way through your gum. I thought they would have broken through by now, but they are stubborn.
Talking about stubborn, you have definitely been developing a sense of self. You are now putting up a fight when Mommy or Daddy want to spoon feed you your cereal in the morning, wanting to feed yourself. We have had to resort to giving you a spoon to hold on your own so that you can feel like you are feeding yourself. So, no more pureed food for you! You want to be able to feed yourself for EVERY meal. You don't even want people helping to put chunks of food into your mouth. The closest you get to that is having us put a piece of food in our hand for you to take from us before you put it in your mouth. You are becoming a real independent girl.
You are also letting us know, very vocally I might add, what you do NOT like. When we place you in your high chair, you will often start throwing a fit (arching your back and grunting). This is also happening when we try to change your diaper and put you on your back, or even when we put you down on the ground and you don't want to be put down for whatever reason. There have been a couple times that you have thrown yourself back, causing you to bang the back of your head on the floor. We really hope you grow out of that soon!
You have also been a bit more creative these days. Mommy has tried some painting with you. I put paint on a canvas then place it in a ziplock bag, where you then smoosh it around with your hands or feet (and sometimes sit on it) until you make a wonderful abstract piece of art. You have already given one to Zia Monica which she adores.
You have also been experiencing the fascinating world of bubbles, where Mommy blows them at you and you stare at them, watch them fall and pop, and sometimes try to get to them and touch them where they then pop.
Oh, I almost forgot, you also had your first experience with gelatin. Mommy put some of your toys in a container and made some gelatin that went "solid" fixing your toys into place. You liked pulling them out and digging through the strange substance. Of course, you loved putting everything in your mouth, including the weird gelatin that was tasteless...bleh! You even dumped it all over the floor when Mommy turned away for a couple of seconds. Mommy learned very quickly a couple of things: 1) Mommy should not turn her back on you, even when you're in your highchair, 2) if I am ever to do it again, wait until just before bath time...it made a bit of a sticky mess, and 3) take out the gelatin from the fridge a little while before having you play with it, as your poor hands got a little cold from the experience.
Speaking about being a bit sneaky, you are starting to get up to a bit of mischief these days. It first started with you playing in the kitchen and when Mommy looked back at you, you had a bottle in your hands that you took off the drying rack close to your toys. I thought it was just a fluke, but sure enough, the next day I saw you stand up and reach for the bottle when Mommy was putting something away. I caught you and asked you not to touch, and you listened, but then shortly after, tried again. On Monday (March 27), while Mommy was getting some things put together for your babysitter, you crawled from the dining room to the living room. All of a sudden I could hear you playing with a plastic, crinkly bag and I had no idea what you were doing and where you got it from. Well, Mommy forgot to put away her bag of toffees (which were also not closed, shame on me) so you took them from the side table, and dumped them on the floor where you then played with the bag. Mommy had to pick up all the pieces (which were not wrapped) and put you in your playpen so that I could vacuum the floor where you made the mess (also to get rid of those choking hazards...Mommy has a bit more baby-proofing to do). Then, today, you and Mommy read one of your favourite books "If I Were a Rabbit". Mommy had to put it on the side table in the living room out of reach because this book, which you also love to put into your mouth and destroy like your others, can't be fixed because of the way it's made. When Mommy put you down to check something on her phone, you stood up by the table and waited for me to look at you, before you attempted to make a grab at the book, with a smile on your face. I caught you just in time before you could do just that, but man that was a calculated move! Daddy would be proud (*wink).
One of our favourite things your Daddy and I enjoy these days is what you do with your polar bear stuffy that Daddy has named "Beary". You LOVE this bear. It is very soft and cuddly, and you will get a huge grin on your face no matter where you are when you see it, and will often drop everything to crawl to it whenever you realize it's there. You will then face-plant into it, or lie on top of it, often biting his nose (I'm assuming is your way of showing how much you care). It is so precious to see. Daddy will also hide it behind him and show you glimpses before hiding it again. You respond by trying to crawl and climb over Daddy to get it. It makes us laugh all the time. (Mommy just has to figure out how to clean it now without changing your affinity towards it.)
I'm sure there are a lot of things I am forgetting to add, but these are definitely some of the highlights. We love you little one and can't wait to see you continue to change and grown into your own beautiful, independent self!
No comments:
Post a Comment